September 20, 2010

Before it went all wrong...

Abercrombie was a great outfitter. Started back in 1892, the company originally catered for the moneyed adventure types; the types that would happily hunt the company's current clientele for sport. Items from Abercrombie's excursion-goods days pop up on Ebay pretty frequently. I sadly missed out on the late 19th century portable canvas outhouse that sold about a month ago, but I may quell my disappointment by picking up this flask:
It's got this great, utiliarian look to it. It's also huge, coming in at just under 11", top to bottom. This flask can beat up your flask.
And the kicker- the Hallmark:

It's not one I recognize though the seller claims the maker to be James Dixons and sons. Quick wikipedia check: "They were the best-known manufacturer of Brittania Metal, and also the world leader in manufacturing shooting accessories thru the late Victorian Era , and numerous other items from precision tools to aircraft propellers..." Sounds good to me. Do I need another flask? Probably not. One of us should buy it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment